Sunday, October 14, 2012

Last Night I Dreamt of Hell and High Waters (Short Story)

There's a reason I'm living in this abandoned warehouse. It's not because I'm a drunk or drug addict. It's not because I'm mentally ill either. Though people might think I am.

You see, it began about a month ago with a dream I had. Well, I don't even know if it was a dream. I don't know what else to call it.

In this dream, I found myself on a fishing boat. The boat was decrepit and rusty. There was a giant crane in the middle of the deck holding a net. The crew looked like normal fishermen for the most part. Except there was something really awful about their eyes. Have you ever looked someone in the eyes after you made them extremely angry? These fishermen looked like that all the time.

The surrounding ocean was an unnatural green and looked more like sludge than ocean water. The sky was covered in clouds that were the same green as the ocean with areas of rust red in the cracks of the clouds.

They dropped the crane into the water and left it in there for a short time. Then they pulled it up and let the net drop their catch all over the deck.

But there were no fish. There was only garbage.

And bodies

Bodies of infants

Many of them looked torn apart. A few were still alive, twitching and making gurgling sounds. The deck was soaked with their blood and viscera.

I was so frightened and disgusted that I accidentally backed right off the deck and fell overboard.
The sludge water felt indescribably gross. I started thrashing and panicking. The fishermen dropped the crane back in the water. I swam over to it and grabbed on to the rope.

That's when I woke up.

I was disturbed, yes. But I shrugged it off pretty quickly. After all, it was just a dream.

Famous last words.

I went about my day. However, not long afterwards I started hearing laughter. It would start very quiet and distant sounding. Then it would get gradually louder until it was like someone howling right in my ears. Then it would suddenly stop.

I tried waiting for it to go away. It wouldn't. After two weeks, I was still hearing it several times a day and I couldn't sleep because it kept waking me up.

I knew it wasn't real. But I had to prove it to myself. I got a tape recorder and waited for the laughter to start up. Then I pressed record. After the laughter stopped I rewound the recorder and pressed play.

I heard it!

The laughter was coming from the recorder!

The laughter was fucking real!

I knew I had to run. I had to get away from whatever it was.

I dropped everything and I went to my mother's house. I told her I couldn't explain, but I needed to stay with her for awhile. She probably thought I committed a crime and was hiding out. Either way, she let me stay. Bless that woman.

For about a month, I didn't hear anything. I thought I lost whatever it was.

But then it started again.

Without telling my mother, I left her house and skipped town.

That's why I'm here now.

It's been three weeks and it hasn't found me yet. I know it will soon and then I'll have to run again.

That's how it is. If you think I'm crazy or you don't believe me, I have nothing left to say to you.

No comments: